The Institute was established upon the Resolution #1082 of Cabinet of Ministers, Republic of Kazakhstan dated 29.10.1993 at the geophysical observatory “Borovoye” and geophysical party #35. Basic scientific activity areas:
The Institute of Geophysical Research has considerable scientific-technical and production infrastructure: 17 stationary stations (seismic, infrasound, magnetic), Data Center, telecommunication digital data collection network, including satellite communication channels and scientific-research laboratories.
The Institute is the only organization in the Republic of Kazakhstan providing implementation of scientific-technical obligations of the country under the key international Treaties and Agreements on nuclear safety and nuclear non-proliferation, such as:
Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) (1996, ratified in 2001);
Agreement on implementation of measures including post-certification measures at international monitoring sites to support CTBT (2004, ratified in 2007);
Executive agreement on “Installation and operation of seismic station for nuclear test monitoring in Kazakhstan” (1997, ratification of umbrella agreement in 2009);
Agreement between RK and RF on “Cooperation in nuclear weapon test monitoring and non-performance” (1994).
Besides, to support the above-mentioned documents, Agreement with corporation of USA seismic universities IRIS, Memorandum on scientific cooperation with Commissariat a l’Energie Atomique (France) and Agreement on scientific cooperation with Norwegian center NORSAR are under implementation.